SCMP Saturday, January 6, 2001

School terms

Why in your articles are the ESF schools constantly referred to as 'international' schools?
Schools which follow a British education system with A-levels and GCSEs, not even International General Certificates of Secondary Education (IGCSEs), and hire predominantly British teachers hardly merit the term international.
May I suggest 'private schools' be used for both the international schools and overseas British schools?
Repulse Bay

Education Post Editor Katherine Forestier replies: By 'international schools' we mean those primarily serving the international community and following international or other national curricula beyond Hong Kong. To call them private would confuse them with local private schools following the local curriculum and preparing students for HKCEEs and Hong Kong A-levels.